Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Five things that are bringing me joy


1. The Beach Vibes Spotify playlist - I started using Spotify in the evenings while I was cooking dinner. I stumbled across this playlist when I was searching for something that would help me relax after work, something that would make me dance in the kitchen, something that would make me smile. This playlist is all those things. Even Jeremy and my sister have started listening to it. It's the perfect thing to put on when you are sitting on your back porch having a few drinks on a Friday night. 


2. Hummingbird feeders - Not last summer, but the summer before that, I would sit on my back porch in the morning and watch a hummingbird or two come and visit our one feeder while I had my coffee. I was so sad when I didn't see any last summer. I think the feeder we were using was just not to their liking. We switched back to the basic plastic red feeder and added two more to the yard. We make simple sugar water to put in our feeders. And I'm so happy to say that the hummingbirds are back. I've seen them at the feeders at just about any time of day and they have even taken up hanging out under our patio on our twinkle lights. 


3. My cleaned out Facebook feed - Social media is an addictive time suck. I really hate how much time I spend on many of the social media platforms, but I can't seem to stop myself. I was tired of scrolling through Facebook seeing a bunch of stuff that I didn't care about. This isn't about UNFRIENDING people. This is about UNLIKING the pages of TV shows, movies, authors, big box stores, local stores, restaurants, direct sales reps, animals, political groups, etc. The list just goes on and on and on. Everyone and everything has a Facebook page nowadays and it was just getting to be too much for me. My Facebook feed is back to being more in-line with what I want to be seeing, friends and family, and a few misc. pages that I still actually care about. 


4. Fresh flowers - I'd like to say, up front, that I am not a florist. Some people have a way of arranging flowers so beautifully. For me, it's hit or miss. But I do not let it stop me from bringing home and enjoying fresh flowers. It doesn't have to be a super pricey, fancy bouquet. Usually, I mix and match two or three $3.98 bunches from the grocery store and sort of fuss with them until it looks decent in a vase. Or sometimes I'll just get a $10 bouquet. It's a small treat for myself to having something new and fresh and colorful in the house to enjoy.


5. Instagram - For all the accounts I've unliked/unfollowed on Facebook, I've liked two more on Instagram. Since Instagram is a photo based platform I'm a little more blasé about who I follow. I'd like to share with you a few accounts that make me happy, give me life, and make me laugh. 

* @157ofgemma - Gemma is an artist that draws comics of her life with her husband, two chihuahuas, and MOCHI the pug. Mochi is, of course, the star of the show. Her stories (with drawn in talking/thought bubbles) are super cute.
* @deannacat3 - Deanna and her husband live in CA with their two cats and a handful of chickens. Their take on growing plants, flowers, and food on their own urban property is very inspirational. And she is kind enough to share all her knowledge with her followers. She does great tutorial stories that she saves in her highlights. 
* @kellie_and_pete - Pete is an illustrator that has been drawing comics of his life with his wife and daughter for the last six years. This is a newer account that I just started following. I love the total honesty and relatability of his drawings. Most are funny, some are poignant, all of them are real.





No comments:

Post a Comment