Sunday, June 23, 2019

Milestones and Memories


Jeremy texted me recently with 'I want to get you a Mustang for your 40th birthday' (I'll turn 40 next year).  I've been dreaming of getting a Ford Mustang for many years now, but I've never been able to justify the purchase in my mind.  Don't ask me why...I guess I always convinced myself that it wasn't practical. And also I'm the queen of talking myself out of buying anything frivolous or not desperately necessary.

Getting a Mustang to mark my 40th birthday sounds like a lot of fun. And it got me thinking about what other things I have wanted, but never allowed myself to have. To be honest, I couldn't come up with a whole lot of physical things. What can I say, I'm a simple girl who doesn't want for much in the way of material possessions.  Instead what kept coming to mind are experiences and travel.

I want to eat beignets and get covered in powered sugar in New Orleans. I want to go witch watching in Salem. I want to enjoy the cherry blossoms and visit the National Museum of Natural History in D.C. I want to watch fish being tossed at Pike Place Market, buy fresh flowers from a street vendor, and visit the kitty café in Seattle.  I want to eat a Czech kolache in West, TX.  I want to pick my own flowers at Krugers Farm on Sauvie Island. I want to eat Voodoo doughnuts. I want to walk among the Redwoods in Northern CA and visit the Garden of Fragrance in San Francisco.  I want to hunt for pirates in St. Petersburg, FL and hunt for elves in the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.  I want to go back to the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. I want to collect some driftwood on a beach on the Northwest Coast.

I want to visit old churches and grand universities. I want to walk the streets that our founding fathers walked. I want to go to quirky museums, dedicated to odd things. I want to wonder through book stores. I want to visit beautiful gardens.

And don't even get me started on Scotland. I am going to get there someday!

Maybe I'll get to do and see and eat all the things...all while cruising in my new mustang. Who knows....

But for now, we are visiting Asheville, NC at the end of July. I've never been to North Carolina so I'm very excited. There is a pinball museum in downtown Asheville that I have my eye on. And a trip to the Asheville Arboretum is on the schedule. 

Here's to milestone birthdays, dream cars, new experiences, and making memories.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. We've focused, like you and Jeremy, on building memorable experiences lately. It is so fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete